Make this Quick Ratatouille style dish with your left over veges or use whatever few vegetables are left in the fridge or freezer, to expand into a tasty meal or side dish.
Ideally use your previous made Coach T Marinara Sauce which gives this quick tomato based dish a better depth of flavour than just using a can of tomatoes and why this ratatouille is quick to make but has the flavour of a longer braised meal that your guests will think you spent hours in the kitchen making!
This is dish can be served as a side vegetable dish or as a meal.
It can be made with a variety of vegetables, frozen or fresh, and for best results ensure root vegetables are already cooked if you choose to use, otherwise choose vegetables which have a similar time to cook to ensure they are evenly cooked through.
Quick Ratatouille and my Gourmet Spaghetti Sauce are very versatile recipes, so get creative by adding different spices to alter the cuisine. Ratatouille is Mediterranean but add in turmeric, curry and chilli it becomes an Indian style vegetable curry.
You may like to add in cannelloni or black beans or left-over cooked meat for a protein element and to bulk up the dish into a tasty meal.
Quick Ratatouille Recipe
1 1/2 Cups of Coach T Marinara Sauce (see here for recipe) or use 1/2 a can of tomatoes
1 Red Onion
2 Capsicums – yellow and orange
1 Eggplant (or use mushrooms)
2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon of dried mixed herbs
Salt and Pepper to taste
Small Handful of fresh basil or Italian Parsley
Small handful of grated cheese (optional)
- Peel and chop red onion into wedges.
- Chop other vegetables into approximately 2.5cm chunks.
- In a large casserole dish or a deep frying pan, heat oil over a medium heat and stir fry all the vegetables for about 5 minutes or until they just soften, but not cooked through.
- Add and stir through the marinara sauce.
- Add mixed herbs and/ or desired spices.
- Simmer for about 5 -10 minutes until the vegetables are cooked.
- Sprinkle fresh herbs and cheese on top to serve.